Thursday, February 26, 2009

They will know we are Christians by our love

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35

A while back I was at work, and a man entered the bank and approached me. It was cold outside and it looked like he had several layers of clothing on and the hood of his jacket was pulled tight around his face. He was breathing really hard and I wasn't sure if it was because of the cold or nervousness. He asked me if I could give him cash for some loose change and although I wasn't really supposed to, I said I would. As I was counting his change, which was mostly pennies, we began to talk. He told me that he had recently been released from prison and that he had not been able to find a job. He had stayed with family until they asked him to leave and since then he and a couple of friends had been staying in his car and were almost out of gas. He seemed so broken and lost and although he had a tear tattoo, which I thought might have meant he had killed someone, something in his eyes was just crying out for someone to love him and I was immediately overwhelmed with compassion. I didn't feel any fear at all...I wasn't searching my mind for the perfect thing to say...I was just calm. I just listened as he talked. I told him to hang on and promised him that it would get better. I never mentioned God or said I was a Christian, but toward the end of our conversation the man said to me, "I believe in God...I don't know much about Him, but I believe in Him." The only response I could come up with was, "He loves you, and you're going to be okay." I felt that the man didn't see me at all, but that he definitely recognized God's love when he saw it. I went to my purse and got 20 dollars and gave it to the man. He shook his head and said he never thought he would be in this position, so I told him that one day he would be in a position to help someone else and to pass it on. He promised that he would.

God showed me in such a clear and profound way that it's not what we say, but what we do that matters and that the challenge of loving other people, even when they're unlovable, is easier when you let His love flow through you. In fact, that's the only way it can be done. I have no idea what impact this encounter had on the man, but it affected me deeply and I'm so grateful for the experience. God is so good!

Lord, thank you for loving me! Help me love others and help me stand out of the way for you to love others through me. Amen






7 comments:

  1. Hey Tami...surprise surprise! So glad you joined the bloggy world.

    I remember you sharing this story with me when it happened...BEAUTIFUL!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crying hysterically right now... I love you so much. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me more Amanda. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story! Perhaps more so for me because my brother spent four years in prison after having been a police officer. (He committed no crimes while on the job, a fact he's proud of.) It took many years for him to get beyond it--I'm not sure he is yet, but he found an employer who values him and knows his family loves him. But bless you for helping this stranger. In another time, another world, he might've been my brother. (And yunno what? All things considered, he is now.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omigosh! I had no idea this was your blog, babe. I thought I was posting on a stranger's 'til I followed the links Amanda set up for your Aunt Ginger. And no, I didn't look at the pics--I'm a real idjit!--but I'm even more moved now that I know you're you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you too, Aunt Nancy! I kind of wondered after the first comment...I mean, I know you haven't seen me in a while, but...haha. You're not an idjit! That's just like something I would do! By the way, we really missed seeing you guys this weekend and Bonnie absolutely loved the hair pins!!! She put the pink one on immediately and wore it the rest of the day! I'll try to get a cute pic and send it to you. You're so talented and I'm with Amanda; I think you're on to something with those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We missed you too! Ulterior motive on the pins: 'sides the fact that I adore the girl I understand she's the fashion leader at school. I want everyone to want one. (Yunno, you'd look cool in those. Want one? Uncle Sam's got a terrific delivery system.)

    ReplyDelete