Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!

epiphany
Pronunciation: \i-ˈpi-fə-nē\
an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure.

I love having epiphanies! It happens to me all the time. I hear something I've heard a million times before, but all of a sudden, this particular time, God chooses to reveal some glimpse of truth that I had always missed. The only problem with epiphanies, at least for me, is that I always want to share them, but I can never explain them in a way that gives much meaning for anyone else. What is a wonderful discovery for me, seems rather obvious as I relate it to others. However, I've chosen to share a recent enlightment anyway. If nothing else you'll have the pleasure of saying, "Well, duh..."

I was listening to the radio the other day and the song "Heart of Worship" came on. I've heard and sung this song so many times that I normally would not pay much attention, but this time a lyric jumped out at me and started me thinking: "Longing just to bring something that's of worth that will bless your heart..." I wondered when was the last time I had a true desire to bless the heart of God. I have definitely desired a closer relationship, I have hungered for intimacy with God, I have been compelled to worship and praise Him, but why? Because these things bless me? Now that I think about it, my motivation for almost everything I do in my Christian walk is possibly in order to receive blessings. It's not a conscious thought, but it's still there. I started wondering what would happen if I began to make it a continual prayer that every choice I make would be pleasing to God; would bless Him even. Then I related my relationship with God to the parent-child relationship. Children are born selfish and dependant, but they develop a desire to please the one who meets their needs. Can we develop a desire to please God, or is that longing already within us? Because we were created to be in a relationship with God is it possible that we have an innate need to please Him? Is it also possible that neglecting that need can create a serious sense of dissatisfaction? Just in case, my new mantra is "Father, how can I please you today?" Well, duh...

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Psalms 103:1

No comments:

Post a Comment